T-24 hours

21 09 2010

Okay, so normally I don’t think I’ll be posting this often, but I’m going to take advantage of the reliable internet/electricity here at my girlfriends’ apartment and make one last post about what the next 48 hours will look like.  I don’t yet know how often (a couple times a week?, once a week?, a couple times a month?) I’ll be able to update this blog but I think I’m going to try and keep a personal journal via old fashioned pencil and paper then post here whenever I have internet access.

Anyway, I officially am no longer the owner of a car.  I have to say, it was a little surreal to be dropped off at my temporary apartment and have the first car I ever bought with my own money drive away.  I’ve signed the title of the car over to my little brothers mom (not actual little brother, but little brother as in Big Brothers Big Sisters of Atlanta) who doesn’t have a car.  Many people have told me this is a noble thing to do, but don’t think it was purely altruistic motives that prompted me to give it away; Kelly’s blue book thinks that the bad boy is worth exactly $970.  It has no rearview mirror, no power locks, no power windows, a jumpy transmission, etc (the list goes on).  I am actually grateful to my little brothers mom for taking the thing off my hands and grateful that they’ll be able to actually use it since they don’t currently own a car.  The next modern amenity for me to give up is my phone.  As of tomorrow morning, my cell phone service here will be officially cut.  That being said, until I get a phone in Tanzania, the only way to get a hold of me will probably be email.  As soon as I get a phone number, I’ll post it on the right hand side of my blog along with my mailing address, so don’t be surprised if you try to call me and you get a message saying the service is disconnected; it should be expected.

I’d like to mention how ridiculously lucky I am to have so much support from my friends, my family, and my girlfriend.  I know that if some kids told their parents they were going to Africa for 2 years, they would absolutely FREAK out.  Not my parents.  It was quite the opposite.  When my dad heard the news, my sister told me he proceeded to start dancing around making Tarzan noises.  I also received a picture/text message from my mother.  It was my dad at some store modeling safari gear with the text “we are ready for safari!”  Then there’s my girlfriend Audrey, who totally supports what I’m doing, and has been there for me through the whole process.  I can’t describe to you how much of a calming effect this has had on me as I prepare move to Africa for 2 years.  When I told my mom that my girlfriend was not in fact dumping me while I was away, but rather already planning to visit, she promptly told me something along the lines of “wow she’s amazing Glenn, she’s a keeper, don’t screw this up” then proceeded to start crying.

As for my schedule for the next 48 hours, tonight I plan to just relax.  I think my sister, my girlfriend, and I are going to grab some dinner at a local Indian place and just hang.  Tomorrow morning my friend Mike, my sister, and my girlfriend are going to load up the car and run a caravan down the Atlanta airport.  I have a flight from Atlanta to Philadelphia where I’ll attend various orientation activities.  I believe it’s basically the Peace Corps telling us (my group of 30 volunteers that are going to Tanzania with me) what’s expected of you and the logistics of what will be occurring once we arrive in Tanzania.  For those of you who don’t know, it’s pretty ironic that I ended up in Philly for my orientation event;  the majority of my extended family lives there so I’m hoping I can meet up with my aunts, uncles, grandma, and cousins at the Phillies game if the orientation doesn’t run too long tomorrow night.   I’m really hoping to meet up with them this since I only usually see them once a year at Thanksgiving, and I won’t be able to make it back for turkey day this year.  Then on Thursday morning, we check out of our hotel and take a bus from Philly to New York, where I’ll catch my flight to Tanzania.  I think that once I arrive in country, things will be pretty dang hectic, so don’t be alarmed if you don’t hear from me for a week or two.  I’ll try to consolidate my hand written thoughts/experiences and post them here when I get a chance.  That’s about all I have for now.  It’s time for me to run out and purchase one last Spicy Chicken Deluxe sandwich with pepper jack cheese, a large fry, and a large Dr. Pepper from my favorite fast food joint: CHICK-FIL-A.

 Kwaherini! (I think that’s goodbye in Kiswahili, but I should know for sure very soon….)




4 responses

21 09 2010
Art Galen

Hi Glenn,

Just want wish you the best of luck! What an adventure!! Be save.

PS. If you go to the Philly’s game don’t wear a Braves shirt, you won’t come out alive!!!

21 09 2010
Adam Horner

Hey man, good luck on your trip. I know I haven’t seen much of you lately, but I wish you all the best. Don’t forget about Skype. It’s a great way to stay in contact with everyone (if you have internet that is).


21 09 2010
susan Pendleton

Got a call from Erica yesterday from Nukuru. She was using Chat’s phone. Better reception than in Atlanta. I’m so excited to be able to read about your experiences in Tanzania and to tell you how excited we are for you that you are able to be a part of the Peace Corps. I’m hoping it will be a wonderful experience for you. Sue

21 09 2010

Sue, thanks for the well wishes! Definitely keep me in the loop about our group in Kenya. I hope they have just as good, if not a better trip than we had!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: